Friday, October 12, 2007

barbie

My neighbor is trying to talk me into doing an Iron Girl competition next year. I try to point out things like: I haven't run since high school phys ed. She seems to think this doesn't matter very much. She seems to think wrong.
"The running part is only three miles," she says.
Yeah, but...
"And the swimming is only 30 minutes. You can swim for 30 minutes."
Yeah, but...
"And the bike riding is only 15 miles," she says. "What's 15 miles on a bike?"
Fifteen miles on a bike is FIFTEEN MILES, I think. 
"I'll think about it," I tell her. And I will.
Our discussion led to whether or not there was a Triathlete Barbie. My daughter got a bunch of Barbies from a kind neighbor recently and Triathlete Barbie was not among them. Enough has been said about Barbie to know that I'm already covering tired ground when I accuse the Barbies she did get of being whores. But I have to say it anyway. I mean, can't Barbie be fancy without a faux leather pants suit that was obviously designed for a dominatrix?




No comments: