Thursday, October 15, 2009

Five-minute Hedwig


My kids are all about immediate gratification. So when my son put on his Harry Potter robe last week in preparation for Halloween, he asked, right away, for a Hedwig.
"I didn't buy a Hedwig," I told him.
"Could we make one?"
"Sure," I said. "But it would take a while."
"We could make one now," he said. "We could use one of Daddy's socks, put some stuffing in it, then I could use marker for eyes, you could sew felt on for wings."
He paused.
"And talons."
I had all of the stuff he mentioned. He had the pattern in his head, so we tried it. In FIVE MINUTES we had Hedwig.
Not perfect, perhaps, and I may make a fluffier owl for Halloween (I'm not an expert sewer, but I'm competitive enough to want my kid to have more than a sock on his shoulder, especially if my friend Vicki goes trick-or-treating with us this year.) On the other hand, he's happy with it. And we have another use for mismatched socks.

4 comments:

mmm said...

I love it! You'll have to make more!

Kerry Nolan said...

I like that Hedwig!

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

It's so cool that he took the initiative to say "We can make one!"

Jenn Hubbard

mad said...

Thanks, you guys! I think my mission may be to turn this blog into ideas for single socks...