Friday, March 28, 2008

time out for poetry

My son had a temper tantrum this week. A kicking, screaming tantrum, the likes of which I haven't seen in more than a year and the likes of which is not becoming in any kid, much less a kindergartner. I took him to his room and as part of his time out, or recovery time, or whatever you want to call it, I had him work on some poems about the way he was feeling. My object wasn't to instill poetry as punishment (egads, I hope that won't be a side effect!) but to get him to focus on words and feelings and communicating those feelings in a way that did NOT involve kicking and screaming.

It was a fascinating process. He dictated three poems and they got better and more eloquent as he regained control. He gave them titles after they were finished. Here's the first one:

YOU ARE NOT NICE

I hate you
I don't like you
I do not like you at all
Because you were not nice to me.

Here's the last one:

When I Am Angry

When I am angry, I feel mean
I feel sort of like a volcano inside
Or a big, bubbly mud pit
But that's not all
I feel like I want mommy.

2 comments:

Anamaria (bookstogether) said...

Wow. Look at the distance traveled, deeper in, between poem one and poem three.

Daisy said...

Awesome strategy!!! I LOVE that last one! So true!