Thursday, February 21, 2008

feeling groovy

Financial lockdown, a death in the family, a school board fight and annoyances big and small have conspired to put me in a funk, and not the kind James Brown sings about, either. I mentioned this to my friend Cece recently and she gave me her best sources on how to clear up the gray skies and make the glass half full:
Pollyanna
Annie
Anne of Green Gables
"Maybe you should add some sort of 'Ann' to your name," she suggested.
So I complained about my funk to another friend who replied: "Oh, but I'm sure it won't last!" Her name? ANNIE. I think Cece's on to something...

Meanwhile, despite the weather forecast, I'm determined to start keeping on the sunny side. Speaking of which: Sam Riddleburger got me hooked on this challenge from Miss Rumphius Effect to write a rhyming chant using a list of items, flowers, animals, etc. My poem doesn't exactly stick to the rules (I don't think) as I'm giving myself a lyrical head start: I'm using titles of songs performed by The Carter Family.* My meter isn't perfect, but it's still my contribution for Poetry Friday.

I'm working on a building
In the shadow of the pines
I cannot be your sweetheart
Little darling pal of mine
I have an aged mother,
A distant land to roam
Walking the king's highway
It's a long, long road to travel alone.
Dark and stormy weather
East Virginia blues
Sunshine in the shadows
Birds were singing of you
Help me climb the mountain
Over the garden wall
It is better further on;
The happiest days of all



*Just to explain my train of thought for those who aren't Carter fluent, "Keep on the Sunny Side" was one of The Carter Family's signature songs.

Whew. Perhaps I should consider turning all of the bad stuff that's been going on lately into a poem. Though, per Cece's advice, I'd be better off working on a poem with the good stuff, and there's plenty of that. (Don't worry; I'm not going to try to rhyme it.)

My brother's new baby
My son's vigil for the tooth fairy
A paying writing gig
Laughter
Poetry
The ability to stop myself when I start getting sappy.

No comments: