Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The trouble with Harry

Impossible to get a decent night's sleep until I finished the new Harry Potter. The reviews haven't been 100 percent kind to that book, even before it was written. And I certainly agree with some of the criticisms. But for Rowling's ability to create a wolrd and move me into it for however long it takes to read those pages, for her to create voices that I can hear inside my head and hillsides that I can see even without closing my eyes, I applaud the hell out of her. I love these books -- every bit as much as I loved "A Wrinkle in Time" when I was a kid (you can see the similarities). I loved the chance to be part of the magic again. Could have done without the epilogue, however...Aside from being totally cheesy, it came at the end of a book that really taps into your imagination, and then took away any chance for you to actually use that imagination.

No comments: