Thursday, June 19, 2008

summer reminders

Tomorrow is the first day of summer. Earlier today I posted a few pictures that I thought captured the essence around our house so far. Feel free to send a link to your own pics if you've got 'em.

Meanwhile, I wanted to remind those of you with kids to sign up for your local summer library reading program. Our library in Arlington has incentives for preschoolers through teen-agers.

My friend Leigh Anne turned me on to the Barnes and Noble reading program, too. They don't need the extra publicity, but YOU NEED FREE BOOKS so I want to take a minute to make sure you check out the program, too. It's a good deal: Your kids, grades 1 to 6, read eight books and say what they like best about each one. Turn it in and you get a coupon for a free book from a list of eligible titles. In normal something-for-nothing land, that would mean your kids would be bringing home How to File Your Fingernails with a Back Hoe or Gourmet Cooking with Sawdust. Only I checked out the titles in my son's age group and they included: Ramona Quimby, Age 8, the Tale of Despereux, and Clementine. Since the kids are going to be reading anyway, may as well fill out the paperwork!

1 comment:

Anamaria (bookstogether) said...

We just collected the paperwork for both of those reading programs this past weekend! I like that the Barnes and Noble one asks the kids to say what they like best about the books they read. I made a photocopy of the form before turning it in one year--it's so funny (and telling) what kids like best about their books. I only wish they had a summer reading program with free books for the grownups.